Working on our Sight Words!

In case you missed it at the end of last week, I posted a new little diddy.  This is something that I started working on almost a year and a half ago, and then started revamping this summer.  I FINALLY finished it!

Slide1

I am in love with these activities! They are simple enough to do on a regular basis (for morning work, maybe?!), but still fun and engaging for kids! 

Here are a few samples..

There are three different types of response sheets….

Slide19Slide51

Slide80

 

 

 

Some mats for play dough stamping – great to print on BRIGHT paper!Slide99

And some bright and colorful cards for stamping words with letter stamps.  (There is a response sheet included!)

Slide117

You’ll also find a fun little game that’s great for interventions or literacy centers!

Slide133

Just click {here} to check it out!

What else do we do to review sight words?

One of my most popular posts EVER is {this one} where I shared this great sight word chants.

DSCN0988[6]

DSCN0989[5]

My kids LOVE this chants!  I keep them close by to use for little time fillers and brain breaks!

I also LOVE to use the Heidi Song’s sight word DVD’s – these are also great for a little brain break!  Anytime we can put anything to music, it’s a hit!

Another favorite are our sight word poems.  These poems have been around forever, but the kids do seem to love them!

Sight Word Poetry Pages: 100 Fill-in-the-Blank Practice Pages That Help Kids Really Learn the Top High-Frequency Words

I adore this fun idea!

Sight Word Connect Four - put sticky dots with letters on, on the counters. Great idea! (",) by willie

and along the same lines….

Sarah Cooley {First Grader at Last} posted this fun game waaaayy back in 2010!

Of course, we are always practicing sight words during our literacy centers!

IMG_7597

DSCN0625

DSCN0750

IMG_2668

IMG_3004

We read and chant our word wall…

IMG_4185

We practice with our daily fix-its {here} (for the end of Kindergarten) and {here} (for the beginning)

DSCN0657

We practice during our daily news…

IMG_4511IMG_4514

We practice when we come into the classroom…

password

We practice when we leave the room…

IMG_4751

We build our ice cream cones when we learn each new set of sight words…

image

IMG_5076

We play lots of whole class games…

DSCN0991

IMG_2376

IMG_3633

We build our words with magnetic letters, and mix them up and fix them throughout the day….

mix and fix sight words

Sometimes we even stamp them on our hands!

password hand

We have secret, whisper words….

IMG_4752

And so….so…..so….many more fun and engaging ways!

Phew! What are your favorite ways to practice sight words?  Let a comment below and tell me your favorites, and I’ll pick a winner or two to get my new sight word resource!

Slide1

34 comments:

  1. I also do mix it and fix it - the kids L-O-V-E it!!'
    A fun center (though we haven't gotten to it yet this year), I give the kids our school Kind sight word list. They pick 5 words, write them on black paper with gel pens 3 times each. Adults hear "write sight words - blah" but the kids are like "holy canoli, gel pens and black paper!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the password, Heidi's songs, and sight word chants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love doing the password. I also play a game similar to sparkle, but it is called pop. I throw a few cards in the mix that say pop. If they get that card, they say pop and then sit down. My kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. I love the idea for the connect 4 with the sight words. I use the Jenga with the sight words (target had them for $7 for the generic Jenga) and we also use the secret word of the day. I am going to try to use some of the ones that you mentioned...what a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do many of the same things you do! I love Heidi's Songs, stamping them in play dough, your chants, and I just bought Maria's (Kinder-Craze) book bundle that I'm really excited to try this year! Your new pack looks really great! I'd feel really lucky to win it! :) :)

    Taryn :)
    Taryn.Ryan@fairfieldsfuture.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Heidi songs CD too.. The sight word pack looks good..
    Sincerely713@hotmail.com
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought the daily fix its! I love them.
    Karen.Strawser@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! So many great ideas! I like to play a game called "Hide the Bear." I write words on cups and hide a little plastic bear (or other trinket) underneath. To look under the cup, they have to read the word. When they find it I hide it under a different cup and we play again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have passwords on our door frame, we play flash during literacy centers (flash the sight word for just a second and if the kid reads it, they get the card),sight word candy land with sight words written on the board, sight word write the word, sight word books written by our team. Love all of your ideas. Your pack looks great. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot my email address. I'm the Amy who plays flash with my kids.....they love it.
    Amy
    qbeepatte@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous Activities! I am just trying to get some new resources to implement in my daily..this would be awesome! donnabarrett@esdnl.ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fresh ideas! Thank you! I can't wait to try out the Heidi's songs. I use the same sight word poems! I love it! I have your sight word chants ready to put on Popsicle sticks. Hoping to win the packet!!!
    Megan.thompson@lipscomb.edu

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fresh ideas! Thank you! I can't wait to try out the Heidi's songs. I use the same sight word poems! I love it! I have your sight word chants ready to put on Popsicle sticks. Hoping to win the packet!!!
    Megan.thompson@lipscomb.edu

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kiddos love to play "Heads up, Word Up", a sight word version of the popular "Heads up, Seven up" game...LOVE your products! THanks for the opportunity!
    kcahcrim@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all of your ideas!!! I do the handprint slap on the way out the door which they absolutely love to do. I'm also introducing the "don't say Z" version using sight words. I give a word, they spell it (one person a letter) and the person that says the complete word after spelling it sits down. Thank you for this resource and the many great ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it!! In our room, sight words are bubble gum words and we get gum every time we learn a new one! We also do word cheers to spell our sight words!

    Love the new packet. Thanks for sharing!

    gillian.huneycutt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your ideas! Another way that we practice the sight words is by using soap boxes. The students have sight word cards in their soap boxes and practice them each day. After successfully reading each word five times during the week, the student can get rid of the card. After emptying the box, he/she gets new words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all of your sight word ideas:) We love to play 'sight word slap'...kiddos write sight words on index cards and spread them on their table (we have two kids per table) and each pair shares a fly swatter; I call out a sight word and the one holding the swatter has to slap the word called. Then, we switch kiddos and play it all over again. And, of course, we have a talk about how to use the swatters;)
    We also practice sight words in all kinds of center activities, emergent readers, and cheers!
    This pack looks great...can't wait to dive into it:)
    megandw@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all of your ideas! I love doing the sight word chants and even send them home so they can practice with their moms and dads. I would love this unit!
    mhoffmann@isd2397.org

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all the sight word ideas everyone is posting! In my class, we work on sight words during part of our guided reading groups. I have the students write a sight word on a dry erase board. If they are not sure how to spell it, then I write it on mine too. Once everyone has it written, I walk around and erase a letter and they have to fix it. I keep erasing more letters until they have to write the whole word. They really like doing that and have learned to spell their sight words too! I have also played sight word hopscotch and I sometimes have kids point to a sight word of my choice on the word wall before they can line up. I change the word for each student so they get practice at different words.
    imtheirishgoddess@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post. Thanks so much for the opportunity.
    Yvonneeyrg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are so many fin things to do with sight words! Some of my favorites are sight word chants and mix it and fix it. We also play a game with a mini pocket chart called fishy fishy. I put 6-8 sight words on and hide a little die cut fish behind one and they have to guess where fishy is hiding that day. katymajor@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous ideas to make sight words stick!

    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are wonderful ideas for practising sight words. My favorites would be the password, trace it, write it and build it; use letters to build it and stamp it!!!.

    Looking forward to some more awesome ideas for teaching and reviewing sight words for my little kiddos. :) :)

    Thanks so much.

    foxysexyroxy10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your password idea and all the stamping ideas! These activities would be so beneficial to the kids.

    Thanks~
    Kristi
    neillkk@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. So many fun ways to learn! Thanks for some new ideas and reminding me of one I have forgotten! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love doing motions with sight words! Such a fun way for kids to learn!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. My kiddos love "Write the Room" activities! I used your ice cream words unit last year - it was awesome!!
    dbtrout@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. All I can say is you are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was subbing in first grade today and found the teacher had posted this week's sight words in a sentence strip holder thing (I'm blanking on the name of that and if I look it up I'll lose my comment) that was attached to a metal filing cabinet in the in-class bathroom. Anyone who sits gets a sight word review lol.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I use snap words from Amazon. Students have learned a lot! Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My class loves write the room activities and rainbow words :) Thanks for the giveaway!

    Lori
    wrlean@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. We do the same thing with the sight password, but we use those teeny tiny black lights and the special marker so it looks "invisible" until you shine the light... the kids absolutely LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! Love all the great ideas! Thanks so much for sharing everyone.
    dhintz3@wolfnet.net

    ReplyDelete